Ultra-Fast Broadband in Otago
The number of streets where UFB is available is growing, as every day more fibre cabling is being laid in Otago This means it is difficult for the Digital Office to provide comprehensive information on your street or area.
Chorus is the company contracted to install the UFB fibre network in Otago. They have an interactive map which allows you to type the name of a town, suburb or street address and see when UFB is planned for that area. Chorus states that the map is indicative only and for a definitive answer you will need to talk to one of the service providers for Otago (see below).
How Do I Get UFB at Home?
There are two key steps that must occur before you can experience the benefits of UFB in your home.
UFB must be rolled out in your street
For you to be able to get UFB in your home the fibre network first needs to be laid in your street. To find out when fibre will be in your street refer to Chorus' interactive map, or contact a UFB service provider.
You must sign up with a UFB Service Provider
A Service Provider is needed to complete the connection process from the fibre cable in your street to your home and to provide an appropriate Internet package (as they currently do for dialup or broadband).
Who are Otago's Residential UFB Service Providers?
Currently (as at April 2013) there are four service providers in Otago providing ultra-fast broadband for residential homes.
* Please note the information is a brief summary only and subject to change. The Digital Office recommends that you compare the following factors before deciding on a service provider:
- Set up costs (modem, installation fees)
- Contract terms (e.g. 12 months, no term, early termination fee)
- Data limits (and charges if you exceed those limits)
- Services included (e.g. national calling, home line, voice mail, caller ID)
- Cost savings if it is bundled with other services (lik national calling, VOIP, cable tv
For more information on UFB plans please contact the service providers or refer to their websites.